Peers Series

Artist statement for Peers

Peers is a portrait series of seven young emerging artists. Each painting captures a life-sized portrait of the artist before a visual excerpt of their work. Inspired by the isolating transition from university to the gallery world, I reached to my peers to develop a post college art community. I approached this series as a collaboration between myself and the subjects; the portraits celebrate each peer and their art from my perspective. The artists are people I am invested in as friends and as artists. Most of the group did not study at my school, which is significant because these bonds are not based on hundreds of shared studio hours. Their inclusion in this series is about their work and personalities which stand on their own.



Studio view with Laura Francis and her "Peers"



"Kathryn Ballo, painter/architect in training",
oil on canvas, 24" x 36", 2009



"Aaron Segal, painter",
oil on canvas, 24" x 36", 2009




"Ben Ahles, sculptor/installation artist",
oil on canvas, 24" x 36", 2009



"Jean Jacques du Plessis, painter",
oil on canvas, 24" x 36", 2009



"Phil Musen, painter",
oil on canvas, 24" x 36", 2009

Comments

Popular Posts