Weaving


For a little over a year now, I've been weaving.  I took an awesome sculptural weaving class last Fall at Mass Art with Nathalie Miebach and I guess I drank the juice.  This first stick piece was my final project for that class.  I also made the two baskets at the end of the post last fall.  The others followed and are in chronological order.

This past weekend, I went to the Graduate Portfolio Review hosted by Parsons and chatted with a bunch of programs.  It was a great excuse to take some time for photos last week, and now I get to share an update of my recent work.

A little context for this body of work...  I was collecting found wood last Fall for class and it felt as if I was looking at sticks for the first time.  There's so much diversity in color, texture, shape.  I started to see these sticks as potential for line, texture, and color of drawing.  From this idea I took waxed linen, a really wonderful tacky material, to weave these sticks together.

I want to invite others to see the beauty and complexity of this ubiquitous material. Contemporary life is so saturated with media, it's almost hard to be quiet, meditative, and observant to the world around you.  I hope to draw out some of that contemplative slowness for others, to see their world a little differently.


Found wood, waxed linen, 6"H x 12"W x 1.25"D, 2014.  Coiling weave.

Detail


 Found wood, waxed linen, 11"H x 20"W x 2"D, 2015. Coiling weave.

Found wood, waxed linen, 8.75"H x 21.5"W x 2"D, 2015. Coiling weave.

 Detail


 Found wood, waxed linen, 16"H x 10.5"W x 1.75"D, 2015. Coiling weave.


 Detail


Found wood, waxed linen, 14"H x 17"W x 2"D, 2015. Coiling weave.

Detail

Found wood, waxed linen, 44"H x 38"W x 4.5"D, 2015. Coiling weave.

Reed, found sticks, 17.5"H x 11"W x 11"D, 2014. Front view.  Random weave basket.

Side view.
 Back view.

Fiber rush, 19"H x 11"W x 9"D, 2014.  Front view.  Twined basket.

 Side view.

 Back view.

Side view.

Comments

Popular Posts